Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Baby names for the traditional and eccentric

Surfing around Yahoo, I found a little gem on baby names. I'm not in the market for baby names, but I like name origin and that kind of thing, and this article happened to be the top 10 illegal baby names from around the world--a little twist.

I won't list all of them here, but a couple of my favorites are Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 (pronounced "Albin" --don't ask me how or why) from Sweden, and Chow Tow from Malaysia. Perhaps my very favorite though, is from a comment by someone about a mom who sadly tried to name her twins Fish and Chips.

[sic] ridiculous, Fish and Chip would be great names for twins, especially if they were NBA players...'Fish Jones brings it down court... ally oop to Chip Jones, bam, Fish and Chip fry'em again...' --Glenn
Thank you, Glenn for providing some amusement at the expense of those twins.  Not too much though, the name was blocked by a judge.

Personally I stick with traditional names. Call me boring and old-fashioned, but I like a name that most people won't make fun of. Children do enough damage teasing their classmates without needing to add "your name's like fruit!" (I'm thinking of you, Apple Paltrow-Martin.) Sometimes the name speaks for itself, as in the case of New Zealand's rejected name Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii. I mean seriously, give it a rest. There are better ways to give your child that uniqueness you never had than by christening them with a name they'll never live down.

1 comment:

  1. People are cruel. Not too long ago I read about a family that named their children after WWII Nazis. It's nice you got a normal name.

    ReplyDelete

Add your comment here...